I want to interview the illustration department head at the school of art and design. I may want to record my professor so I can get exact quotes for my paper. I will try to get current illustration majors to take my survey (online), or print out copies of my survey to bring to the illustration guild meetings.
Interview Questions (Ideas):
- What should beginning illustrators know about getting into the field?
- What methods are cost effective for contacting art directors?
- What do you think art directors look for in an artist’s work?
- What kind of portfolio pieces are important to include?
- Why do you think photographers send out more communications than illustrators?
- What careers can illustrators go into? Or, what type of work can they be commissioned for?
Survey Questions (Ideas)
- Are/were you confident in your portfolio coming out of school?
- Do you think an art school is necessarily better than a university for developing a portfolio and gaining contacts?
- Are you planning on going into (or have you gone into) a graduate program?
- Are you planning on having (or do you have) a career specifically in illustration (rather than graphic design, etc)?
- Have you sent any communications to art directors?
- Have you communicated with professional illustrators?
- Do you have an art-related resume?
- Do you have a professional portfolio?
- Do you have a personal/portfolio website?
*I would like to have a section at the end of the survey for people to anonymously leave comments, if possible.